My Community
October 21, 2014, 08:18:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Moon Dreams  (Read 3989 times)
cliff

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2006, 11:10:36 pm »

Hi.  Does anyone know who the arranger was for Ms. Tilton's rendition of "Moon Dreams" from her Capitol recording of 10/16/46?  I think that Gil Evans was more influenced by this version than by the Glenn Miller band arrangement of the tune.

Thanks,
Cliff
tom
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 04:43:38 pm »

Gliff,

Thank you for checking out my site, I hope that you found it interesting. I will try and find out for you and get back to you next week,

If I might be so bold as to ask you your age? I like to let Martha know the age of her fans. I have found that she has a good following from the middle age bracket. Also, how did you get hooked on her??

I will be visiting her on 25 June, and will be adding a personel interview to the site. I also hope the add a bio on her sister Liz as well as more photos.

Thanks again for the visit.

Tom Oehme
cliff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 02:06:43 am »

Hi.
   Thanks for getting back to me.  I'm fast on my way to reaching 48, which puts me in the middle age bracket, and like many people, I heard Ms. Tilton first through her recordings with Benny Goodman.
   Thanks again, and I'll be looking forward to your response.
Best,
Cliff
Tom Oehme

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 10:23:41 pm »

Cliff,

I had time to check my information on this song, which I have to rely on the info in the CD jacket for "The Liltin Miss Tilton" Capital years CD. Unfortunately, this is one that I do not have a 78 of. I have the fellow that helped me with the site also checking for me. Here is the info as it appears on the Jacket; J.C. "Chummy" MacGregor - Johnny Mercer" with the Mellowaires. It was recorded on Capital 138 on 4/06/1942.

I find that many of her fans are under the age of 60. I discovered her as you may have read in the site when listening to a History Channel CD called "Till Then" which was a collection of WWII songs. I, myself, will be 59 in Oct. I live in Lititz, PA, where are you from?Huh

It is such a shame that Martha did not get more recognition for the songs she sang while with Goodman, in many instances, her voice is what mabe the song a hit. I have most of the song she recorded in one form or another and enjoy them daily.

Tom Oehme
cliff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 03:50:52 am »

Hi.
   Thanks again.  Actually, I have that CD "The Liltin' Miss Tilton" too; that's how I discovered her version of the song.  The credit information you list above are the composers; hopefully, the arranger will be listed somewhere else (the similarities between this title and some of Evans' other arrangements has made me wonder whether the arranger might have been Evans himself.)

I live in Brooklyn, near Prospect Park; it's a nice place to live.
Sincerely,
Cliff
tom
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 12:58:53 pm »

Cliff,

I have past the word out to a few of the guys I know that have helped me with the site, maybe one of them can get an answer for you.

I'm familiar with Prospect Park, I have trucks that run all over the Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens area almost daily.

Keep in contact.

Tom Oehme
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: